Wednesday 24 July 2013

Mini Update Part III: The Racist



Last Tuesday after picking Amanda up from work we were driving back along the main road. The traffic was heavy and moving very slow. As we sluggishly moved through one of the “bigger” intersections the traffic that was joining from the side road was merging 1 for 1 with us. As I let a car in front of me, the guy in car following that one floored it, trying to jam his way in front of me. Somehow we’ve both ended up braking and now both cars were side by side. We’ve looked at each other through open windows, I didn’t say or do anything but I probably had a cranky look on my face. I’ve then pulled ahead of him, he’s pulled in behind and decided to let fly with a string of racist comments like “f%ck you, white motherf$cker!” etc etc etc. He spent the next good few minutes and couple of kilometres with both hands off the wheel giving me ‘the finger’ and carrying on like an idiot. He calmed down a bit when we drove past a cop car and soon after he decided to use the middle ‘turning lane’ to speed past us and eventually turned off down a side road. Amanda noticed that when he sped past us he’d now wound up his window. Sounds like a gutless prick if you ask me. 

It’s not the first time I’ve copped some form of racial abuse, I’ve heard the odd comment muttered before in my travels overseas (nothing too serious) and I’ve also copped the odd comment when walking to or from work through Brisbane’s Fortitude Valley. This time seemed a bit different though, maybe it was the length of this guy’s rant that did it but this one didn’t roll off the shoulders like the others have. It was a very strange incident to happen in Palau seeing how nice everyone has been to us here. I’m not sure what the guys deal was but by the way he acted and carried on he’s got a screw loose and/or is on something.

For anyone living in Palau: The number plate was Koror state, numbered 12140 (I believe) and the car was a light coloured, right hand drive, recent model station wagon or one of those short vans. (maybe a Volvo or Honda). The guy was young, probably early 20s, he turned onto the main road at the court heading towards Airai and turned left down towards the bakery just before WCTC. I would love if it someone knew who this was. Maybe you can ask him why he has an issue with skin colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment