Saturday 18 May 2013

Is the search over?

For the How I Met Your Mother fans out there: Do you remember the episode where Marshall spent years trying to re-find the restaurant where he ate the best burger ever. Well tonight I'm hoping to end my own search to re-find the best Chilli Salt King Prawns ever.

Around the late 90's/early 2000's a Chinese restaurant existed at Bardon (in Brisbane) called Phone Wong. The Chilli Salt King Prawns were unbelievably good. My mate Darrin and I would patronise the restaurant frequently, regularly dragging along other friends and family. The $20 all you can eat deal was incredible value for a couple of young blokes who played ice hockey endlessly all week then recovered by eating like Homer Simpson at the Frying Dutchman. Darrin and I would often order multiple plates of the Chilli Salt King Prawns in the same sitting, the dish was that good. I often wonder if despite being regular customers and introducing many other people to Phone Wong that we probably contributed to them having to close down!


So the restaurant in it's location at Bardon would have closed about 10 years ago but I understand it briefly popped up at another Northside location before disappearing again.

So yes as you've guessed Phone Wong lives again! Tonight Amanda & I are visiting with Darrin & Claire, I sure hope it's the same Phone Wong and they still have the Chilli Salt King Prawns. I must say that like Marshall I'm rather nervous that the CSKPs wont live up to my memory of them. Stay tuned to the station for a full recap.


P.S. The only thing I've ever found to replace the CSKPs with is the Salt n Pepper Calamari (with a side of chilli) at The Vietnamese Restaurant in the Valley. They've been consistently awesome for the 7-8 years I've been going there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment