Tuesday 4 June 2013

My second most uncoordinated moment ever

Last night I had what I'm dubbing my second most uncoordinated moment ever. But let me give you a little background first: For those who don't know me in person, I'm a fairly sporty person who can pick up most sports to a decent level reasonably quickly. But every so often I have the odd moment where I feel I've momentarily inherited the body of 16 year old geek who regularly trips over his own two feet. The first of these moments was when I was 24 when I managed to break my fibula and badly dislocate my right ankle while sliding into second base at baseball. I now have a plate and 8 screws in my ankle. This event rather surprised me as I didn't think I was capable of being so unco!

So last night I momentarily inherited the body of the aforementioned 16 year old geek again, and I decided it would be a good idea to try and break an ankle again, but this time the left ankle just to even things out (what can I say, I like things to be symmetrical!).

Anyway I was walking in the front gate of my friends place carrying an esky with 3/4 of a carton of beer in one hand and the rest of the beers in a soft bag in the other hand. Somehow I've missed a small drop from the grass onto the pathway putting my foot partially down on the small concrete edge. I've completely rolled my left ankle about 90 degrees back underneath myself. I've gone straight down and slammed face first straight into the garden with some considerable speed, unable to even get an arm up to stop my fall due carrying the eskys. 

I'm pretty used to taking the odd spill at hockey and being able to jump straight up again but this one probably took me near a minute to extract myself back out of the garden. What's funny is that right before I stacked it, I was telling Amanda to not trip over the tree stump I'd just successfully navigated past.


Luckily my ankle doesn't appear to be broken and has been slowly getting better since last night. I can now put weight on it fairly well but of course it hurts to turn or twist the ankle. Thankfully it doesn't appear that It'll affect the rest of our preparation and move to Palau on Sunday.

...and yes, in case you were wondering, all the beer miraculously survived! But the garden didn't really appreciate my 93 kilo body slam.


No comments:

Post a Comment