Sunday 2 June 2013

It's the final countdown

After what seems like an endless 6 months worth of planning and organising we are suddenly in our final week at home before we move to Palau. This time next sunday we'll be at the airport! After such a long build up it feels quite surreal for it to be here finally.

Yesterday we had a large going away party attended by lots of friends and family starting at New Farm Park then onto the German Club for some pork n beers. It was great to catch up with a lot of people but despite frequently saying "see you in a year" it still doesn't feel real yet. Maybe it's easier for us as we are the ones off on the great adventure ;) 

Also on Friday just gone I finished up at work (going on unpaid leave for the year). If you include a number of months working as a contractor in 2002 I've spent two weeks shy of 11 years at the same company. While I'm not going to miss staring at a computer screen and sitting sedentary In an office all day I will certainly miss the regular contact with a large group of fantastic people. Some of these people I've worked with for all 11 years.

And again It's not really sunk in that I wont be heading into work as normal this week and for the next year.  While I still have some security with being able to return to my job at the end of the year, it is definitely an odd feeling to not have that familiar routine (and pay check!). Despite the few concerns this creates, the excitement and possibilities of our adventures in Palau far outweigh any concerns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment